Monday 7 February 2011

Knit Block



Despite really struggling with knit for the first week with countless samples randomly dropping off the machine and unraveling into piles of threads, by the second week I finally got to grips with this technique. Like with weave, the concept of actually constructing a fabric really interests and excites me.

I wasn't particularly fond of using the punchcard pattern. Perhaps because the design I had come up with was quite abstract and quite rigid and graphic. I actually prefer the reverse side of some of my samples. The floats have a softer, more organic and less ordered appearance which appeals to me. My uninspiring pattern combined with an unfortunate choice of colour may have given some of my knits a 'Christmas ski sock look'!

There are endless avenues to explore in the field of knit and I especially like the fact that this technique, unlike weave allows for the creation of extremely delicate, fragile fabrics or to the extreme contrast, incredibly chunky, durable fabrics.


I used white lycra in this knit sample to give it a more sculptural, 3-D effect. I can see it working as a collar or cuff for a garment.


With the right yarns and colour choice, I believe even simple striped knits can look really classic and effective.


This knit sample was a direct and rather obvious interpretation of my Pop-up fishing fly collection. Browsing in Carnaby Street's boutiques, I saw this amazing skirt by Laura Theiss and was reminded of my collection immediately.



My favourite sample due to its organic form and feminine appearance.


The reverse of my punchcard pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment