Sunday 30 January 2011

Nicolas Provost- Stardust


I had not heard of the Belgian filmmaker Nicolas Provost before seeing his exhibition at the Haunch of Venison and therefore was pleasantly surprised by the highly visceral experience presented to me. I was absolutely absorbed by his film Storyteller (2010). A film of the neon lit Las Vegas skyline had been manipulated and mirrored so that it appeared as a mesmerizing moving pattern of colour and light.It exuded a dominantly artificial aura which is reminiscent of science fiction. The use of a mirrored image reminded me instantly of a photograph I took a few months ago of Battersea Power Station and its reflection in the Thames. It made me stop and reconsider beauty within the ordinary and especially the industrial or urban landscape which is often perceived as an aesthetic eyesore. From a textile point of view I could see the pattern working as a stunning fashion print!

No comments:

Post a Comment