Monday 15 November 2010

Ideas for print


A few weeks ago I took the opportunity to pop to the Textile and Fashion Design Museum in Bermondsey to have a look at the Horrockses Fashion exhibition. My main reason for visiting was to hopefully get inspired for my forthcoming ‘Print’ technical block as I’d heard that the fashion company, from the 40s and 50s was well know for its’ popular eye popping feminine prints. As anticipated, there were plenty of chintzy floral examples but what I liked best were the prints generated from the work of contemporary artists, such as Graham Sutherland, Eduardo Paolozzi and Louis le Brocquy. I was particularly fond of the stylized, abstract patterns of designer and textile artist Alistair Morton. During our drawing week at uni, I had been struggling to understand the type of drawings needed for print. My simple line drawings of keys were really bland and uninspirational. The abstract motifs and stylized patterns are more appropriate for the creation of a fabric used for fashion and interiors. Another designer whose simple prints caught my eye was Pat Albeck. Back at home I found more examples of her work on her website. Admittedly, her current floral, chintzy work is not really to my taste, but the work she created during the 50s and 60s is very contrasting. Abstract and expressive, her designs feature bold art-deco prints which I am certain would be appropriate for present day fashion and interiors.



Some examples of Pat Albeck's designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment